Sony has upgraded their action cam line-up with their new 4K version which will cost $499.99. This entry is clearly trying to compete head-to-head with the new GoPro Hero 4 Black, which is the same price and also 4K. The Sony features:
- Professional 4K (3840 x 2160) video recording with up to 240p HD / 120p HD
- 170° Ultra-wide angle
- SteadyShot™ image stabilization
- Control up to 5 Action Cam via phone or LiveView™ Remote
- GPS Data Overlay adds route and speedometer data directly onto the video
- Splash proof body with universal tripod mount
- Built-in stereo mic for quality sound with wind noise reduction
The price includes this waterproof case (see below) just like the GoPro. One obvious difference is the location of the lens. On the GoPro, the lens is on the flat side of the unit so when you mount it on your chest, it is flatter than the Sony. However, if you mount the Sony on the side of your head/helmet, it is closer to your head than the GoPro.
The bottom line is, GoPro has cultivated a extreme X-Games culture, whereas Sony has turned into the suit-and-tie network executive company. It’s going to take a lot more than a 4K version for Sony to come close to taking over the GoPro market.